This looks very much like an ALSA driver issue, so I'm dropping it as a
2.0 blocker.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  [Oneiric] HDMI output does not work immediately

Status in PulseAudio:
  Unknown
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  In Oneiric, the output of 5.1 sound (not AC3 passthrough, but multi-
  channel PCM) via the HDMI connector of my onboard Intel graphics card
  is finally working. This is really great!

  For this to work, I have configured Pulseaudio to use the "Digital
  Surround 5.1 (HDMI) Output". The HDMI output of my computer is
  connected to a 5.1 receiver.

  However, there is one nuisance: Whenever I start playing sound on the
  computer (e.g., rhythmbox or VLC, both playing via PulseAudio), I hear
  no sound. On my receiver I have to re-select the input source for the
  computer, which seems to initiate a HDMI handshake (it lasts 3
  seconds). Only after this I am able to hear sound.

  If I press pause and continue in Rhythmbox, the sound continues fine.
  If I stop and restart Rhythmbox, I have to do the above procedure
  again. The same is true for VLC and probably for all other players.

  While playing around, I have noticed that sound is also working after
  killing pulseaudio while playing something in Rhythmbox. When the
  connection to Pulseaudio is killed, Rhythmbox tries a fallback to
  ALSA. As the Pulseaudio daemon was immediately restarted, this will
  result in Rhythmbox being connected via the ALSA plugin (before the
  connection was direct). It seems that Pulseaudio is doing the
  necessary things here, because after this I do hear sound (as long as
  Rhythmbox runs). However, this trick does not work for other players
  like VLC which don't fall back to ALSA.

  Note that while for me this is just a nuisance, it may be a real
  blocker for other users. As long as you don't try to fiddle with the
  receiver inputs while playing sound on the computer, you hear
  absolutely nothing via HDMI. This includes the sounds from the speaker
  test dialog of Pulseaudio. I guess a lot of users would give up and
  think that HDMI output is broken in Ubuntu.

  Package: pulseaudio 1:1.0-0ubuntu3
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  ArecordDevices:
   **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
   card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
     Subdevices: 1/1
     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  philipp    7706 F.... pulseaudio
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'PCH'/'HDA Intel PCH at 0xfe520000 irq 50'
     Mixer name : 'Intel CougarPoint HDMI'
     Components : 'HDA:10ec0892,80862002,00100302
HDA:80862805,80862805,00100000'
     Controls      : 31
     Simple ctrls  : 16
  Date: Mon Oct 31 18:07:22 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release amd64 (20110426)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=de:en
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
   LC_MESSAGES=de_DE.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: pulseaudio
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-10-31 (0 days ago)
  dmi.bios.date: 11/15/2010
  dmi.bios.vendor: Intel Corp.
  dmi.bios.version: BLH6710H.86A.0076.2010.1115.1959
  dmi.board.asset.tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.board.name: DH67BL
  dmi.board.vendor: Intel Corporation
  dmi.board.version: AAG10189-205
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnIntelCorp.:bvrBLH6710H.86A.0076.2010.1115.1959:bd11/15/2010:svn:pn:pvr:rvnIntelCorporation:rnDH67BL:rvrAAG10189-205:cvn:ct3:cvr: