The video file that caused the most recent crash was an MP4 15.9BM when
uncompressed. I've successfully opened many files that were much larger
than that.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gstreamer1.0 in Ubuntu.

  Opening video from compressed archive can freeze X

Status in gstreamer1.0 package in Ubuntu:

  Perhaps I shouldn't do this, but I often open compressed videos using Totem
from within Archive Manager. A couple of times over the past month my desktop
session has frozen as Totem loads. The mouse still moves, but it can't interact
with screen objects. The keyboard doesn't work at all.
  I'm able to SSH remotely into my machine and killing the Totem process
restores full desktop access.

  Package: libgstreamer1.0-0 1.14.1-1~ubuntu18.04.1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Aug  5 20:38:46 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64 (20180426)
  LogAlsaMixer:
   Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
     Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
     Playback channels: Mono
     Mono: Playback [on]
  SourcePackage: gstreamer1.0
  XorgLog: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/log/Xorg.0.log'