Jerome,

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. We are sorry that we do not always have the capacity to
look at all reported bugs in a timely manner. You reported this bug some
time ago and there have been many changes in Ubuntu since that time.
Your problem may have been fixed with some of the updates.

It would help us a lot if you could test on a currently supported Ubuntu
version. When you test it and it is still an issue, kindly upload the
updated logs by running only once in a terminal:

apport-collect 1504827

and add any additional information that you think relevant.
Alternatively, please confirm that this is no longer a problem and that
we can close the report. If we do not hear from you the bug report will
close itself in approximately two months time.

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu better.

Paul White
[Ubuntu Bug Squad]

** Changed in: vim (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to vim in Ubuntu.

  vimtutor opens up empty

Status in vim package in Ubuntu:

  bubba@mine:~$ vimtutor
  The program 'vimtutor' is currently not installed. You can install it by
typing:
  sudo apt-get install vim-runtime

  bubba@mine:~$ which vim
  bubba@mine:~$ which vi
  /usr/bin/vi

  bubba@mine:~$ dpkg-query -S $(which vi)
  dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /usr/bin/vi

  bubba@mine:~$ vi
  ~

  ~

  ~                              VIM - Vi IMproved

  ~

  ~                               version 7.4.488

  ~                           by Bram Moolenaar et al.

  ~           Modified by pkg-vim-maintain...@lists.alioth.debian.org

  ~                 Vim is open source and freely distributable

  ~

  ~                        Become a registered Vim user!

  ~                type  :help register<Enter>   for information

  ~

  ~                type  :q<Enter>               to exit

  ~                type  :help<Enter>  or  <F1>  for on-line help

  ~                type  :help version7<Enter>   for version info

  ~

  ~                        Running in Vi compatible mode

  ~                type  :set nocp<Enter>        for Vim defaults

  ~                type  :help cp-default<Enter> for info on this

  ~

  ~

  ~

  :q
  bubba@mine:~$ dpkg-query -l 'vi*'
  ||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
  +++-==============-============-============-=================================
  un  vile           <none>       <none>       (no description available)
  ii  vile-common    9.8p-1       all          VI Like Emacs - support files for
  ii  vile-filters   9.8p-1       amd64        VI Like Emacs - highlighting filt
  un  vim            <none>       <none>       (no description available)
  un  vim-athena     <none>       <none>       (no description available)
  ii  vim-common     2:7.4.488-3u amd64        Vi IMproved - Common files
  un  vim-gnome      <none>       <none>       (no description available)
  un  vim-gtk        <none>       <none>       (no description available)
  un  vim-nox        <none>       <none>       (no description available)
  ii  vim-tiny       2:7.4.488-3u amd64        Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor
  un  virtualbox-gue <none>       <none>       (no description available)

  bubba@mine:~$ sudo apt-get install vim-runtime
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
    vim-runtime
  0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
  Need to get 4,980 kB of archives.
  After this operation, 26.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
  Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ vivid/main vim-runtime all
2:7.4.488-3ubuntu2 [4,980 kB]
  Fetched 4,980 kB in 5s (845 kB/s)
  Selecting previously unselected package vim-runtime.
  (Reading database ... 174233 files and directories currently installed.)
  Preparing to unpack .../vim-runtime_2%3a7.4.488-3ubuntu2_all.deb ...
  Adding 'diversion of /usr/share/vim/vim74/doc/help.txt to
/usr/share/vim/vim74/doc/help.txt.vim-tiny by vim-runtime'
  Adding 'diversion of /usr/share/vim/vim74/doc/tags to
/usr/share/vim/vim74/doc/tags.vim-tiny by vim-runtime'
  Unpacking vim-runtime (2:7.4.488-3ubuntu2) ...
  Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...
  Setting up vim-runtime (2:7.4.488-3ubuntu2) ...
  Processing /usr/share/vim/addons/doc

  bubba@mine:~$ vimtutor
  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  ~

  "/tmp/tutorOwc6RB" 0 lines, 0 characters

  bubba@mine:~$ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      15.04

  bubba@mine:~$ apt-cache policy vim-runtime
  vim-runtime: