Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 17.10 (artful) reached end-of-life on July 19, 2018.

See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

We appreciate that this bug may be old and you might not be interested
in discussing it any more. But if you are then please upgrade to the
latest Ubuntu version and re-test. If you then find the bug is still
present in the newer Ubuntu version, please add a comment here telling
us which new version it is in and change the bug status to Confirmed.

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Gnome (on Xorg) dishonours customized cursor theme while hovering the
  desktop and the windows decorations

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  If I use lightdm to load GNOME Shell, I encounter a very weird bug: if
  I move the cursor to hover the desktop, the cursor theme becomes DMZ
  White, but if I move the cursor over the GNOME panel or over any open
  window, it returns back to the custom theme set by me.

  I can experience this bug only when using lightdm, if I use gdm3 I
  always have the same cursor.

  Note that I'm not on Wayland and that I have nautilus folders on my
  desktop.

  Package: lightdm 1.18.3-0ubuntu1.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-53.56~16.04.1-generic 4.8.17
  Uname: Linux 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.6
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Tue Jun  6 02:14:12 2017
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160420.1)
  JournalErrors:
   Error: command ['journalctl', '-b', '--priority=warning', '--lines=1000']
failed with exit code 1: Hint: You are currently not seeing messages from other
users and the system.
         Users in the 'systemd-journal' group can see all messages. Pass -q to
         turn off this notice.
   No journal files were opened due to insufficient permissions.
  SourcePackage: lightdm