Ben,

We are sorry that we do not always have the capacity to review all
reported bugs in a timely manner. You reported this bug some time ago
and there have been many changes in Ubuntu since that time.

We would like to close this bug report as it refers to old versions of
Ubuntu and vim but before we do we are asking if you still see a problem
related to that which you reported?

If we do not hear from you the bug report will close itself in
approximately 60 days time.

Thank you for helping make Ubuntu better.

Paul White
[Ubuntu Bug Squad]

** Changed in: vim (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to vim in Ubuntu.

  vim receives SEGV when entering visual mode

Status in vim package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: vim

  Whenever I press a button, which starts the visual mode in vim (like
  shift-v, ^V etc.), vim receives a segv and I have to kill the process.

  This does happen in terminals xterm and gnome-terminal. But on my
  framebuffer-tty and gvim this does not happen.

  I already tried reinstalling all installed vim~n-Packages using aptitude, but
with no luck.
  $ COLUMNS=120 dpkg -l "vim*" 2>/dev/null | egrep "^i"
  ii  vim                      2:7.2.330-1ubuntu4       Vi IMproved - enhanced
vi editor
  ii  vim-common               2:7.2.330-1ubuntu4       Vi IMproved - Common
files
  ii  vim-doc                  2:7.2.330-1ubuntu4       Vi IMproved - HTML
documentation
  ii  vim-gtk                  2:7.2.330-1ubuntu4       Vi IMproved - enhanced
vi editor - with GTK2 GUI
  ii  vim-gui-common           2:7.2.330-1ubuntu4       Vi IMproved - Common
GUI files
  ii  vim-runtime              2:7.2.330-1ubuntu4       Vi IMproved - Runtime
files

  I have no sophisticated plugins etc. installed. This is new in
  maverick and did not occur in lucid.

  Please help, I need that visual mode (and no, I'm not going to switch
  to emacs ;-).

  Thanks in advance.

  Package: vim 2:7.2.330-1ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-24.42-generic 2.6.35.8
  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-24-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Wed Dec 29 11:58:19 2010