-- GitLab Migration Automatic Message --

This bug has been migrated to freedesktop.org's GitLab instance and has
been closed from further activity.

You can subscribe and participate further through the new bug through
this link to our GitLab instance:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libx11/issues/24.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libx11 in Ubuntu.

  Thread unsafe access to internal linked list, breaks Origin games in
  Wine

Status in xlibs:
  Unknown
Status in libx11 package in Ubuntu:

  In file src/xlibi18n/lcConv.c the following linked list head is
  defined

  static XlcConverterList conv_list = NULL;

  Which is then modified by _XlcSetConverter and get_converter in a non
  thread-safe manner. Inside get_converter the list is reorderder to
  increase the efficiency of looking up the same element the next time,
  but this is especially dangerous since a seemingly read-only method is
  actually modifying the data.

  Modifying the list in such thread unsafe manner does case the list to
  become garbled in some workloads and causes infinite loops when the
  get_converter is invoked. The solution I suggest is to add a mutex or
  spinlock around accesses to the linked list, I would it myself but I'm
  not sure about what is the usual mutex implementation for this
  project.