This problem was returning intermittently.  I am now moving on to a more
recent release of Ubuntu so I no longer have am rebooting this
particular OS version.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  frozen login window' unable to login; must reboot' cursor moves no
  mouse clicks

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:

  Denial o9f Service caused by holding a key that repeats for a long
  time.  eg.  cat takes nap on keyboard, cloting piled on keyboard

  Before submitting bug report I checked online and saw many other
  reports goin back about 15 months.  I saw no mention of  updates or
  how to reproduce.  In my case the cursor continues to move around, but
  unable to use cursor to reboot.  I can only use power off as none of
  they keys are working.

  Good thing the power button results are acceptable. and most
  applications fully recover.

  Package: lightdm 1.18.3-0ubuntu1.1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.15
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Sun Jan 14 19:20:22 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Beta amd64 (20150805)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)