The fix suggested by hgrie works for me. ibus-setup is running ibus-
daemon, which immediately fixed the issue and lasts until logout.

I note that adding 'ibus-daemon --xim' as a startup application is a
permanent fix for the issue in my case.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in

  Compose and dead keys stopped working with XIM after upgrade to 16.04

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in gnome-terminal package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in ibus package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in libx11 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in xkeyboard-config package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading to 16.04, entering characters using dead keys and
  using the Compose key stopped working in Gnome Terminal, acting like
  they are normal (non-dead) keys.

  Other applications, even those who use the same libvte (e.g. ROXTerm),
  don't have this issue.

  This happens with both the "Belgian" and "English international with
  AltGr dead keys" layouts.

  Package: gnome-terminal 3.18.3-1ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Fri Apr 22 20:45:33 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release amd64
(20131016.1)
  SourcePackage: gnome-terminal
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to xenial on 2016-04-22 (0 days ago)