Public bug reported:

I'm a software developer writing quite a lot of code.

The way the german keybooard is layed out, some essential keys like
brackets and backslash are very awkward to type (right hand holding Alt-
GR in bottom row and pressing the key right of the 0-key in top row to
get a backslash).

After years of doing this, i started to suffer from RSI (repetitive
strain injury).

I'm attaching a patch for an additional keyboard layout that puts all
those hard to reach one-handed brackets, braces and backslash on the
Umlaut keys. The Umlauts are still available in their normal place
through Alt-GR for occasional use, but i  mostly use Scroll-Lock to
switch to an unmodified no-deadkeys layout when typing german text.

I have been using this layout now for 3 years, and it has greatly
reduced suffering, while still enabling me to do my job.

** Affects: ubuntu-meta (Ubuntu)

** Patch added: "Patch for german keyboard layout file"
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1787354/+attachment/5176178/+files/de.patch

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu.

  Add modified german keyboard layout for programming to reduce RSI

Status in ubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu: