@SKOM: Thanks for providing the hook. Saved me a lot of time.
It may be worth mentioning that the new VLAN interfaces have to be shut down
before booting by a line like this in initramfs.conf:
DROPBEAR_SHUTDOWN="eth0 eth0.1"

I wonder, why this configuration is not available by default in stock
Debian: Neither encrypted root nor VLAN is very unusual in a server
configuration.

Cheers, Martin

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  Add support for configuring VLAN interfaces in the initrd

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:

  It would be helpful to be able to create VLAN network interfaces in initrd
images provided
  by Ubuntu, based on kernel command line parameters. (i.e. VLAN=eth0.100, )

  Some use cases for this feature addition are MAAS users trying to boot
machines
  using a specific VLAN interface.

  On a specific case we have 2 physical network interfaces, one is plugged into
a specific VLAN interface,
  Since we can specify the network interface on BIOS, the initial PXE boot
occurs, but
  then the installation fails when using the fast-path installer because the
specific VLAN is not configured on the ram disk.

  While we can use the other network interface because is a trunk interface
that allows us to use
  several VLANs, this is not supported on all the network architectures and
some security limitations doesn't allows this method.

  Reference Redhat implementation can be found here:

  - http://marc.info/?l=initramfs&m=133767307516594

  Reference Suse implementation can be found here:

  - https://gitorious.org/opensuse/agrafs-
  mkinitrd/commit/6124f87f3132b6369c0335c319832619a49d0bf7

  The command line syntax for this could be something like, similar to
  Redhat implementation

          vlan=<vlanname>:<phydevice>

  For an example:

          vlan=eth0.2:eth0