It looks like this issue has been fixed by Seth in bug 1789566

I tried to run the ubuntu_cts_kernel test on a KVM node and it passed.
Mark this as Fix released.

Thanks

** Changed in: ubuntu-kernel-tests

** Changed in: iproute2 (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to iproute2 in Ubuntu.

  ip link add command return: Error: either "dev" is duplicate, or
  "enp1s0" is a garbage.

Status in ubuntu-kernel-tests:
  Fix Released
Status in iproute2 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  With iproute2 3.12 on Trusty, command:
      sudo ip link add type veth peer enp1s0 name testveth0

  Will return:
      Error: either "dev" is duplicate, or "enp1s0" is a garbage.

  However, this command works fine since Xenial (iproute2 4.3.0)

  As we will need this for kenrel SRU testing, it will be great to have
  this fixed on Trusty.

  Package: iproute2 3.12.0-2ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: User Name 3.13.0-129.178-generic 3.13.11-ckt39
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-129-generic aarch64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.25
  Architecture: arm64
  Date: Wed Sep  6 10:54:47 2017