I have this same problem as well - and have had this problem for a few
months. Every time the update fails it takes me here.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pcsc-lite in Ubuntu.

  package pcscd 1.8.10-1ubuntu1.1 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess
  installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Status in pcsc-lite package in Ubuntu:

  .

  ProblemType: Package
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
  Package: pcscd 1.8.10-1ubuntu1.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-81.104~14.04.1-generic 4.4.67
  Uname: Linux 4.4.0-81-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.24
  AptOrdering:
   pcscd: Install
   pcscd: Configure
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Jun 23 12:21:31 2017
  DuplicateSignature: package:pcscd:1.8.10-1ubuntu1.1:subprocess installed
post-installation script returned error exit status 1
  ErrorMessage: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error
exit status 1
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64 (20160803)
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   dpkg 1.17.5ubuntu5.7
   apt  1.0.1ubuntu2.17
  SourcePackage: pcsc-lite
  Title: package pcscd 1.8.10-1ubuntu1.1 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess
installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1