Thanks for the report. I'm a bit confused though, because although
you're right that the call to chown will probably fail, I can't see how
that failure will result in networking not being configured. Can you
post the console log of networking failing to be configured?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  configure_networking uses features not available in initramfs.

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:

  initramfs-tools 0.131ubuntu10 modified configure_networking to use
  run_dhclient instead of ipconfig. configure_networking now fails to
  configure networking in the initramfs because it now uses features not
  available in the initramfs.

  https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-
  tools/commit/?id=a77729e9a69ff7af4911285c771d80e01b7addfe

  run_dhclient calls dhclient which calls /sbin/dhclient-script.

  /sbin/dhclient-script calls 'chown --reference=$resolv_conf
  $new_resolv_conf', but chown isn't available in initramfs
  /boot/initrd.img-4.18.0-7-generic.

  /sbin/dhclient-script also calls 'chmod --reference=$resolv_conf
  $new_resolv_conf' but busybox chmod in the initramfs does not support
  the option --reference.