Can confirm this part

>The same thing happens with some gtk3 window shadows, e.g. the gnome
>calculator: Underlying
> windows cannot be brought into focus near the window border in the shadow
> area.

Ubuntu 18.04 gnome shell, multiple monitors, nvidia.

I first noticed as I had a window full screen on monitor 1, and it
prevents the use of the "close,minimize,maximise" controls on the
titlebar of neighbouring window on another monitor, unless I focus on
it, by clicking outside the shadowed region.

I'm not 100% on who is at fault, but shadows of UI elements should be
transparent to clicks, IMO.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  Frame shadow of gtk3 application is not transparent for mouse clicks

Status in gtk+3.0 package in Ubuntu:

  The shadow region of Gtk3 apps drawing their own frame shadow (CSD) is
  not transparent for mouse events. E.g. when such an app is in front of
  a browser window, a link in the browser can only be clicked/hovered at
  distance from the window border, which is larger than the shadow
  thickness.

  This may be related to  #1518661.