This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
While running an Ubuntu kernel (not a mainline or third-party kernel)
please enter the following command in a terminal window:

apport-collect 1789234

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Audio Popping when Headphones are plugged into Laptop

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  There seems to be a power saving issue where the sound card
  automatically turns off when not in use. When the laptop is off the
  charger, I plug in the headset into the headphone port. Then a sharp
  popping sound is sent through to my earbuds to my eardrums. You often
  have to manually disable the power saving to stop the issue, but this
  impacts the battery life of the laptop. I noticed this issue on Ubuntu
  MATE first and if has occurred on ALL versions of Ubuntu MATE I have
  used {16.04 onwards}. This issue also occurs on other Ubuntu distros.

  Here is the specific Audio hardware
  jgj@jgjbuntu-Inspiron-5547:~$ lspci | grep Audio
  00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev
0b)
  00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)

  Hope this bug can be resolved.