Public bug reported:

libcurl3-gnutls 7.35.0-1ubuntu2.17 fails to verify remote certificate if
the certificate chain provided is out-of-order. This is caused by
libgnutls-dev package dependency, since libgnutls26 package is
apparently long known to have this issue:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnutls26/+bug/1373422

This bug can be observed with git, which depends on libcurl3-gnutls:

git clone https://gnunet.org/git/libmicrohttpd.git/
Cloning into 'libmicrohttpd'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://gnunet.org/git/libmicrohttpd.git/': server
certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
CRLfile: none

libgnutls28 package fixes this issue, since out-of-order certificate
chains are allowed in that package. I am not very familiar with debian
packaging process, so I was wondering if it is possible at all to bump
dependency of libcurl3-gnutls from libgnutls-dev -> libgnutls28-dev for
trusty.

libgnutls28-dev conflicts with libgnutls-dev. At first sight, one of
dependencies of libcurl3-gnutls-dev, lbrtmp-dev, also depends on
libgnutls-dev. So, again I am not sure if this change is applicable or
it causes nontrivial reverse-dependency issues.

Given above bug filed against gnutls26 is still open after 4 years, I
thought it might be easier to solve it on libcurl dependencies. (Is it?)

Thanks.

** Affects: curl (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to curl in Ubuntu.

  libcurl3-gnutls in trusty fails to verify certificates when
  certificate chain is out-of-order

Status in curl package in Ubuntu: