Public bug reported:

After upgrading to 18.10, the sound in my System76 Oryx Pro no longer
works, it no longer shows any of the audio output devices, not even the
builtin HDMI which usually always shows.

Not sure what happened, but this is a major regression and needs to be
fixed. Note that this isn't the same as the bug with Timidity taking
exclusive soundcard access
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/1797714) as I
don't have any timidity packages installed.

** Affects: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  no sound after 18.10 upgrade

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu: