I have seen this for quite some time as well. Usually connected to both
wifi and cabled network at work (while laptop is docked), which is quite
handy for when I go to meetings and undock my laptop, but will stay
online since I am also on wifi.

After a while though, and after re-docking the laptop, the metric for
the connections change and the wifi takes priority (eth0 gets 20100
metric, wifi stays on 600). I am still online though, but the wifi is
quite a bit slower at times.

Solution for now is to manually re-click my wired connection in nm-
applet, or just disable auto-connect of the wifi altogether at work.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  network manager assigns ethernet default route metric of 20100

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading from 16.04 to 18.04, when I boot with an ethernet
  cable connected, Ubuntu prefers to use the wifi interface over the
  ethernet interface. Wifi is assigned the normal metric of 600 for both
  of its routing table entries. However ethernet is assigned a metric of
  20100.

  I edited the connection details via nmcli to manually set the ethernet
  metric to 100. After a reboot, the link route (for the LAN subnet)
  correctly has a metric of 100. But the default route for eth0 is still
  20100.

  nm-applet shows the wifi icon, correctly indicating that the default
  route is over wifi rather than ethernet. The only fix is to manually
  set the route after every reboot, or turn off wifi. This is a
  regression from 16.04.

  network-manager 1.10.6-2ubuntu1