I discussed with slangasek, who said:

  - The workaround is to either to configure systemd to restart rsyslog when
the socket is available, or to have openvpn restart rsyslog when the VPN comes
up.
  - The definitive fix would require rsyslogd to grow netlink support (or be
managed by something else that does).

For now, I'm working around this by using openvpn config.

** Summary changed:

- rsyslog fails to bind to tcp socket on restart
+ rsyslog attached to OpenVPN-managed tun0 fails to bind to tcp socket on
restart

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to rsyslog in Ubuntu.

  rsyslog attached to OpenVPN-managed tun0 fails to bind to tcp socket
  on restart

Status in rsyslog package in Ubuntu:

  My rsyslog configuration listens on TCP port 514 and is bound to an
  address on tun0 (created by an openvpn server daemon):

    module(load="imtcp")
    input(type="imtcp" port="514" address="10.8.9.1")

  This machine rebooted (due to unattended upgrades) overnight and when
  it came back up, rsyslog was not listening on the port. The logs show:

    Oct 24 03:00:16 foo rsyslogd-2077: Could not create tcp listener,
  ignoring port 514 bind-address 10.8.9.1. [v8.16.0 try
  http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2077 ]

  A restart of rsyslogd was required to address the issue. I'm curious
  what the right solution to this problem would be, as the bind
  interface is configuration-dependent.