Public bug reported:

I have the following situation persistently on my system (Ubuntu 18.04.1
on Dell Latitude E6500):

Evince called with any pdf file crashes immediately with a segmentation
fault. From the crash dump, I see that the crash happens in fontconfig's
FcConfigParseAndLoad function, i.e. when the system fonts.conf is read.
I can reproduce the crash with the following minimal example:

----
#include </usr/include/fontconfig/fontconfig.h>

const FcChar8* filename = "/home/mirkoh/fontconfig-test/fonts.conf";
FcConfig* config;

int main(){
   FcConfigParseAndLoad(config, filename, FcTrue);
}
----

The fonts.conf file used here is also absolutely minimal:

----
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
</fontconfig>
----

(Get me right. It first happened with my system fonts.conf, which is not
empty. In order to find out whether a specific entry lead to the crash,
I deleted entry after entry, ultimately reaching the file above, and
always FcConfigParseAndLoad crashes.

I have no idea how to go on from here.

** Affects: fontconfig (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to fontconfig in Ubuntu.

  evince crashes in FcConfigParseAndLoad

Status in fontconfig package in Ubuntu: