Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 17.10 (artful) reached end-of-life on July 19, 2018.

See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

We appreciate that this bug may be old and you might not be interested
in discussing it any more. But if you are then please upgrade to the
latest Ubuntu version and re-test. If you then find the bug is still
present in the newer Ubuntu version, please add a comment here telling
us which new version it is in and change the bug status to Confirmed.

P.S. Maybe this is bug 1770725

** Changed in: gstreamer1.0 (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gstreamer1.0 in Ubuntu.

  Totem Player not working correctly on 17.10 Beta 2

Status in gstreamer1.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 17.10 Beta 2 on my laptop - Dell
  Inspiron N4110, Intel Sandybridge Mobile Graphics, Intel® Core™
  i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 4, 6GB of RAM.  If I try to play ANY video on
  the Totem movie player (the default GNOME player), I get sound and
  subtitles but no picture. VLC works just fine. This did not happen on
  my previous 14.04 install on the same laptop. Is this a beta OS bug or
  just a bad media player?

  Package: libgstreamer1.0-0 1.12.3-1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64