I changed to Dolphin :-(

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-settings in Ubuntu.

  restore type-ahead find

Status in Nautilus:
  Expired
Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in ubuntu-settings package in Ubuntu:

  GNOME removed type-ahead find in Nautilus 3.6, not without
  controversy:

  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-
  list/2012-August/msg00002.html

  Now when you type in a Nautilus window, Nautilus immediately performs
  a search in the current directory and all its subdirectories.  I
  personally find this annoying.  If I want to search, I'll click the
  search icon.  Often I'm looking at a long directory listing and simply
  want to jump to a certain point in it, and type-ahead find works great
  for that.

  Would Ubuntu consider patching type-ahead find back in?