(In which case, I think this still warrants improvement, since AIUI the
next run of update-manager will do removals after installations, which
means a high water mark of 4 kernels rather than 3 which is what we
want)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unattended-upgrades in

  kernel from bionic did not get autoremoved by either unattended-
  upgrades or update-manager

Status in unattended-upgrades package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in update-manager package in Ubuntu:

  I happened to run apt manually on my system this morning to remove a
  package, and I was informed:

required:
    linux-image-4.15.0-36-generic linux-modules-4.15.0-36-generic
    linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-36-generic

  This was surprising, since I have run update-manager yesterday (with
  no intervening reboot), and unattended-upgrades is enabled, and both
  of those packages should have already removed this stale kernel before
  now.

  After apt autoremove, my current installed packages are:

  $ dpkg -l linux-image'*' | grep ^ii
  ii  linux-image-4.18.0-10-generic          4.18.0-10.11 amd64        Signed
kernel image generic
  ii  linux-image-4.18.0-11-generic          4.18.0-11.12 amd64        Signed
kernel image generic
  ii  linux-image-generic                    4.18.0.11.12 amd64        Generic
Linux kernel image
  $