** Description changed:

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  apt does not handle HTTP redirects

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in apt package in Debian:

  Problem: apt considers 3xx HTTP server responses the

  Reproducability: Always

  Solution: Make apt's HTTP method follow redirects

  I want to set up a package repository on my home (cable modem-based) server
that
  can scale to many Internet clients.

  Since my use is non-commercial, the Coral Cache <http://www.coralcdn.org/> can
  be used to distribute the package files.  I want to count downloads, so I can
  get a sense of how popular my packages are.  So, I want to store my package
  files in an HTTP-accessible directory and have Apache redirect packages to the
  Coralized URL.  That way, a client's apt-get install with hit my server, which
  will return a "302 Found" redirect to the Coral cache; I count package hits
  without serving the huge files.

  Unfortunately, apt doesn't handle redirects at all; it treats all 3xx HTTP

  I have a blog entry here - http://blogs.jhu.edu/users/paulproteus/18033.html -
  where I give a tiny bit more detail, but I think this bug report is adequate.