Thanks for reporting.

I'm a bit confused to the issue. Though I am not familiar with gmpy, it
looks like there are two versions of it available in Ubuntu, gmpy and
gmpy2. While the former doesn't have a python3 package, the latter one
does and this seems to be the maintained version too. That would be
installable through `sudo apt install python3-gmpy2`
(https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/python3-gmpy2).

If for some reason the Ubuntu package doesn't fit or you really need to use the
older gmpy version in combination with Python3 i suppose that might be why the
script attempt to install via pip3 instead of apt. Based on the error message:
  In file included from src/gmpy.c:251:0:
  src/gmpy.h:30:10: fatal error: gmp.h: No such file or directory
   #include "gmp.h"
            ^~~~~~~
  compilation terminated.
  error: command 'x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc' failed with exit status 1
 it looks like it was fetched, but failed to compile while installing. Some
python packages contain C/C++ code to speed up certain parts and looks like
this is one of them. It might be missing some build dependencies, which perhaps
`sudo apt build-dep python-gmpy` (for gmpy1) or `sudo apt build-dep
python-gmpy2` (for gmpy2, though in that case it is probably easier to use the
existing python3-gmpy2 package as described above)

** Changed in: python3-defaults (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to python3-defaults in

  pip3 cannot install gmpy

Status in python3-defaults package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using python3 and want gmpy.  Attempts to install it fail.

  I routinely capture the output of maintenance tasks, and am attaching
  the results.  This output begins with the text of the shell script I
  wrote to do this, which includes calls to the bash functions I wrote
  to do this self-referential magic.

  Package: python3 3.6.7-1~18.04
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.5
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Nov 23 17:44:44 2018
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  SourcePackage: python3-defaults