Hello Balint, or anyone else affected,

Accepted unattended-upgrades into cosmic-proposed. The package will
build now and be available at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source
/unattended-upgrades/1.5ubuntu3.18.10.0 in a few hours, and then in the
-proposed repository.

Please help us by testing this new package.  See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation on how
to enable and use -proposed.  Your feedback will aid us getting this
update out to other Ubuntu users.

If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug,
mentioning the version of the package you tested and change the tag from
verification-needed-cosmic to verification-done-cosmic. If it does not
fix the bug for you, please add a comment stating that, and change the
tag to verification-failed-cosmic. In either case, without details of
your testing we will not be able to proceed.

Further information regarding the verification process can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification .  Thank you in
advance for helping!

N.B. The updated package will be released to -updates after the bug(s)
fixed by this package have been verified and the package has been in
-proposed for a minimum of 7 days.

** Changed in: unattended-upgrades (Ubuntu Cosmic)

** Tags added: verification-needed verification-needed-cosmic

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unattended-upgrades in

  Unattended-upgrades may keep running after unmounting local
  filesystems in InstallOnShutdown mode

Status in unattended-upgrades package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in unattended-upgrades source package in Cosmic:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  [Impact]

   * Unattended-upgrades may keep running during shutdown even beyond
unmounting local filesystems potentially leaving a broken installation behind.
   * The fix reverts the original fix of LP: #1778219 and applies a different
one starting unattended-upgrades-shutdown _before_ the shutdown transaction
starts/

  [Test Case]

   * Run unattended-upgrades in InstallOnShutdown mode and observe it
  being finished installing a few packages _before_ the shutdown
  transaction starts:

  $ lxc launch ubuntu:18.10 cc-uu-onshutdown
  Creating cc-uu-onshutdown
  Starting cc-uu-onshutdown
  $ lxc shell cc-uu-onshutdown
  mesg: ttyname failed: No such device
  root@cc-uu-onshutdown:~# apt update -qq
  33 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
  root@cc-uu-onshutdown:~# echo 'Unattended-Upgrade::InstallOnShutdown "true";'
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/51unattended-upgrades-on-shutdown
  root@cc-uu-onshutdown:~# dbus-send --system --print-reply
--dest=org.freedesktop.login1 /org/freedesktop/login1
"org.freedesktop.login1.Manager.Reboot" boolean:false
  method return time=1542112922.046290 sender=:1.4 -> destination=:1.13
serial=27 reply_serial=2

  Session terminated, terminating shell...$
  $ lxc shell cc-uu-onshutdown
  mesg: ttyname failed: No such device
  root@cc-uu-onshutdown:~# journalctl -l
  Nov 13 12:50:10 cc-uu-shutdown systemd[1]: Started Unattended Upgrades
Shutdown.
  Nov 13 12:51:17 cc-uu-shutdown systemd-logind[228]: System is rebooting.

  root@cc-uu-shutdown:~# cat
/var/log/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrades-shutdown.log
  2018-11-13 12:51:13,835 WARNING - Running unattended-upgrades in shutdown mode
  2018-11-13 12:51:13,852 WARNING - Unattended-upgrade in progress during
shutdown, please don't turn off the computer
  2018-11-13 12:51:15,482 WARNING - Unattended-upgrade in progress during
shutdown, please don't turn off the computer
  2018-11-13 12:51:17,151 WARNING - Unattended-upgrade in progress during
shutdown, please don't turn off the computer
  2018-11-13 12:51:17,166 INFO - All upgrades installed

  [Regression Potential]

   * The change reverts the behavior of unattended-upgrades-shutdown to
  be close to the behavior observed in Ubuntu 18.04, blocking the
  shutdown process reliably until is unattended-upgrades finished, but
  it starts _before_ shutdown triggered by the PrepareForShutdown()
  signal. Due to the shutdown not fully starting yet users may not get
  visual notification of unattended-upgrades running.

  In my testing on Bionic when a logged-in user shuts down the system
  when InstallOnShutdown is configured the user is dropped out to the
  login manager and nothing shows that u-u is running behind the screens
  for 30s, when the inhibition timer expires and u-u is starting to
  gracefully stop and the usual text appears after the login manager
  exits and plymouth shutdown screen is shown. The fix would be the
  login manager also monitoring PrepareForShutdown() and exiting (LP:
  #1803581).

  On Xenial (with Unity) starting shutdown from the graphical session
  does not log the user out nor show any progress on the shutdown until
  the inhibition timer expires which is confusing. Users should be
  logged out on PrepareForShutdown() (LP: #1803581).

   * The reversion of unattended-upgrades.service was not complete in
  u-u 1.7 and needed a further fix in 1.7ubuntu1 (which fix is already
  included in 1.5ubuntu4). This part may be source of potential
  regressions.

   * The fix itself rewrites big part of unattended-upgrades-shutdown
  and this rewrite could cause regressions in running unattended-
  upgrades in InstallOnShutdown mode, but also this mode was extensively
  tested.

   * The fix includes increasing logind's InhibitDelayMaxSec to 30s to
  give u-u enough time to gracefully stop in normal mode and install
  packages in InstallOnShutdown mode. The delay is global, thus any
  other program holding the lock can delay shutdown or sleep by 30s
  instead of the original 5s default. This regression is hard to avoid
  and the 30s was chosen to minimize the regression potential while
  still giving more than 5s to u-u to finish actions. Bugs reporting
  increased delay to sleep or shutdown should be monitored to catch
  other programs misbehaving with this new default.

  [Other Info]

  This is a regression of introduced in LP: #1778219 and can be observed
  in a cosmic lxd container easily:

  $ lxc launch ubuntu:18.10 cc-uu-onshutdown
  Creating cc-uu-onshutdown
  Starting cc-uu-onshutdown
  $ lxc shell cc-uu-onshutdown
  mesg: ttyname failed: No such device
  root@cc-uu-onshutdown:~# apt update -qq
  33 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
  root@cc-uu-onshutdown:~# echo 'Unattended-Upgrade::InstallOnShutdown "true";'
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/51unattended-upgrades-on-shutdown
  root@cc-uu-onshutdown:~# dbus-send --system --print-reply
--dest=org.freedesktop.login1 /org/freedesktop/login1
"org.freedesktop.login1.Manager.Reboot" boolean:false
  method return time=1542112922.046290 sender=:1.4 -> destination=:1.13
serial=27 reply_serial=2

  Session terminated, terminating shell...$
  $ lxc shell cc-uu-onshutdown
  mesg: ttyname failed: No such device
  root@cc-uu-onshutdown:~# journalctl -l
  Nov 13 12:42:02 cc-uu-onshutdown systemd[1]: Stopped target Local File
Systems.
  Nov 13 12:42:02 cc-uu-onshutdown systemd[1]: unattended-upgrades.service:
Failed to reset devices.list: Operation not permitted
  Nov 13 12:42:02 cc-uu-onshutdown systemd[1]: Starting Unattended Upgrades
Shutdown...
  ..