Public bug reported:

Hello.  This isn't strictly a bug, but more of an upgrade-request on the
iptables package.  Normally i wouldn't be inclined to submit such a bug
report, but a user on the ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list encouraged
me to submit this anyway [1].  For our production systems, we're running
into a kernel race condition bug, for which a workaround has been made
available.  The fix boils down to iptables having a new flag which it
passes down to the kernel, to enable the workaround.  However, the
version of iptables in Ubuntu (v1.6.1) doesn't support that kernel
feature yet.  Specifically, it's introduced in this commit on the
iptables codebase:
https://git.netfilter.org/iptables/commit/?id=8b0da2130b8af3890ef20afb2305f11224bb39ec.

The feature we need from that commit is part of the v1.6.2 and newer
iptables releases, but it looks like the Bionic, Cosmic, and Disco
releases of Ubuntu all include v1.6.1 without that patch, so for now
we're going to have to build iptables from source on our production
machines.  That shouldn't pose any huge issues, but of course, we'd
prefer to be able to use the package from package management, or perhaps
a backported package from a newer Ubuntu release.

So to summarise, this might be an invalid bug report, but consider it a
vote to upgrade the packaged version of iptables.  If this bug report is
entirely inappropriate, then I apologise.

1. Link to thread on ubuntu-devel-discuss where I describe the problem
and Nish suggests I file this bug report:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-
discuss/2018-November/018181.html

Ubuntu version we're using:
Release:        18.04

$ apt-cache policy iptables
iptables:
  Installed: 1.6.1-2ubuntu2
  Candidate: 1.6.1-2ubuntu2
  Version table:
 *** 1.6.1-2ubuntu2 500
        500 http://us-west-2.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64
Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Thanks for your time,

Paul

** Affects: iptables (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to iptables in Ubuntu.

  Packaged version of iptables doesn't provide --random-fully flag.

Status in iptables package in Ubuntu: