Sebastien, at present I can't confirm this on Xubuntu 18.04 but I still
see a problem with Ubuntu 18.04 for which I have vanilla-gnome-desktop
installed so using the Adwaita themeĀ·

If I try to select or deselect anything on the "Other Software" tab I
see the panel dim slightly as if the prompt for the admin password was
going to appear but it doesn't. Just this tab is affected.

But *sometimes* if I first select an item on another tab, cancel the
password prompt and return to the "Other Software" tab then the password
prompt does appear when selecting or deselecting an item.

Unfortunately, the above is not reproducible every time and while
testing before posting here (by repeatedly switching tabs and trying to
select or deselect items) the application crashed and invited me to send
a crash report.

I see this problem when starting Software & Updates as a stand alone
application and also through GNOME Software but not through synaptic as
my password has already been entered.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to software-properties in

  Software & Updates application does not permit changes on the "Other
  Software" tab

Status in software-properties package in Ubuntu:

  On the "Other Software" tab, I am unable to select "Canonical Partners".
  Similarly, the other checkboxes on the "Other Software" can not be clicked.
  Clicking on a checkbox has no effect, and a dialog requesting the admin
password is not presented.

  However, activating or deactivating checkboxes on other tabs causes an
  authorization dialog to be presented to the user.

  I experience this bug in an an Xorg session.

  sources.list and sources.list.d have the following permissions:
  -rw-r--r--   1 root root  2897 Oct 26 22:35 sources.list
  drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Oct 26 21:29 sources.list.d

  All files in sources.list.d have the following permissions as this example:
  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  189 Oct 25 21:50 google-chrome.list

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      17.10

  $ apt-cache policy software-properties-gtk
  software-properties-gtk:
    Installed: 0.96.24.17
    Candidate: 0.96.24.17
    Version table:
   *** 0.96.24.17 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/main amd64 Packages
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/main i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Package: software-properties-gtk 0.96.24.17
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Thu Oct 26 22:45:09 2017
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.10.0 2017.10.25 amd64 "Custom Artful Aardvark"
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)