(on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, all packages up do date)

For about 5 days now, I've been experiencing random freezes of the X
session.

When this happens, I can still move the mouse pointer and it does change
shape according to what it hovers above. Keystrokes or mouse clicks do
not have any effect though.

Alt-Ctrl-F1 just leads me to another visual login session, which I can
log into, but the screen remains black.

Pressing the power button does not lead to a controlled shutdown.

I can remotely log into the system via SSH, but could not find anything
amiss in Xorg.?.log or syslog or dmesg.

This is on an AMD Ryzen with a Nvidia GTX1070 using the binary drivers.
I tried upgrading from 390.77 to 390.87 from the drivers ppa, but that
didn't make much of a difference.

Curiously, at some point, I could trigger the freeze with the "eject"
key on my keyboard. The overlay would not be completely rendered, only
the grey box, but not the symbol. That works now, and my freezes are
only a few times a day, not every 20 minutes. But they continue to
occur.

I'm not certain where to look for the cause of this, help would be
appreciated.

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Tags: 18.04 18.04.1 bot-comment freeze gdm lts nvidia
--
x session freezes randomly
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1807534