How to reproduce this bug:

* Connect a laptop to a dock, which is connected to a screen with an HDMI /
DisplayPort cable.
* Then configure the sound to exit through the cable connecting the screen.
* Turn off the computer
* Take it out of the dock
* Turn on the computer

Then, the sound automatically switches to the audio output of the
laptop. System sounds work well, such as the bell of output volume
slider or the test speaker buttons “front left” or “front right”.
Unfortunately, no more applications can produce a sound.

Graphically, applications react normally, we can see their connections
with pulse audio in the applications tab of the sound settings. But no
sound comes out of the speakers.

Workaround :
* Connect an alternative audio output, such as a Bluetooth headset
* Select it in the “Choose a device for sound output:” option
* Switch back to the internal audio speakers
* Et voilà !

If it help, my laptop is a “HP Zbook G2” sometime connected to a “HP
2012 230W Docking Station”

Thank you for your attention.

Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.28.1-0ubuntu1
ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: GNOME