I discussed this issue briefly on #xubuntu-devel today. This issue does
not affect the default Xubuntu session which has set a cursor size for a
long time. It only affects Ubuntu 18.10 users using the plain Xfce
session. (In fact, I had to create a new user to see this bug for myself
in an Xubuntu 18.10 live ISO. Simply choosing "Xfce" after already
logging in with "Xubuntu" was not sufficient.)

This bug will be fixed for Ubuntu 19.04 and never affected Ubuntu 18.04
LTS.

** Changed in: gtk+3.0 (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: rls-cc-notfixing

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  Tooltips flicker constantly in GTK3 applications

Status in gtk+3.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in gtk+3.0 package in Debian:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  Tooltips are flicker constantly (i.e. repeatedly shown and the hidden
  again) in GTK3 applications under XFCE.

  It is a regression in the recent GTK 3.24.

  This is the upstream report and fix:
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/1371

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/commit/9b7d886b723132eade2e76f3fd179cf81b7601f2

  A workaround for XFCE is as follows:

  Open Settings Editor.
  Set xsettings -> Gtk -> CursorThemeSize to 16.

  Package: libgtk-3-0 3.24.1-1ubuntu2
  Uname: Linux 4.19.0-041900rc8-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu13
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Oct 19 12:23:53 2018
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 16.04.1 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160719)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gtk+3.0
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to cosmic on 2018-10-18 (0 days ago)