Hi,

Ubuntu 18.10 using systemd version 239-7ubuntu10.5:

I also see random results for dot-less domain or host names, i.e. it
seems after a certain timeout, a hostname is not found e.g. when trying
to establish an SSH connection to that machine using a single-label
name. Immediately followed by a second try however, all is working
again.

This looks like a time-out or caching issue.

Quoting https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6224#issuecomment-312639959:
"LLMNR lookups for missing names need to time out (because it is a true
multicasting peer-to-peer protocol, and a name that doesn't exist means that
there's nobody responding to an LLMNR query), but the host command on the
client side times out even earlier than that, and then doesn't continue with
the search domains, as search domains have to be honoured client-side, i.e.
inside the "host" command."

I have now disabled LLMNR in /etc/systemd/resolved.conf and will
observer in the next days if this changes the behaviour.

** Bug watch added: github.com/systemd/systemd/issues #6224

  systemd-resolve breaks resolution of local network hostnames

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading to Ubuntu 17.04 (zesty), resolution of my local
  network's host names is completely broken.  Apparently the upgrade
  replaced my existing resolver with systemd-resolve, which deliberately
  refuses to pass "single-label" domain names to my domain name server.
  That is the server where all my network's host names are kept, so I
  can no longer resolve any of them.

  Apparently, this is yet another example of Poettering's upstream decisions
causing denial of service to people who have been saddled with his malware.
  https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2514#issuecomment-179203186

  Would someone sensible please put a stop to this forced breakage
  during upgrade, and advise on how to fix it now that the damage has
  been done?