Public bug reported:

It happened twice, however, I didn't notice how to reproduce it.   The
problem happened suddenly (this time) when I am editing a commit message
in VSCode.

PROBLEM:

See the attached ime.gif demo. When I type some pinyin the corresponding
Chinese character is shown on the panel, I select any number, say "3",
the character "重" should be selected and appear in the text area.
However, the number 3 is entered.  And after that the IME does not work
anymore, until I switch back to English, then To Chinese again, from the
system tray.   Anyway, when this bug happens, I can only enter the first
candidate of any pinyin (by hit space), but cannot select others by
using numbers.

REASON:

I found that by deleting the folder ~/.cache/ibus and login again, this
problem is gone.  Further investigation show that problematic files are
one (or more) of the following:

xrfang@office:~/.cache/ibus/libpinyin$ ls user*
user_bigram.db  user.conf              user_pinyin_index.bin
user.bin        user_phrase_index.bin

GUESS:

I am definitely sure that this is a bug, because it happened twice.  I
feel that I might inadvertently triggered some key combination so as to
ruined one of the above files.  And IBUS crashed when trying to load
them.

Since it might be hard to identify how these files are corrupted, and as
they are cache only, I would suggest the IBUS author(s) investigate how
to prevent crash when loading corrupted cache files.

** Affects: ibus (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "demo of select a character from the panel"
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1810023/+attachment/5225635/+files/ime.gif

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ibus in Ubuntu.

  cannot select candidate from the panel

Status in ibus package in Ubuntu: