Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu)

  Unable to boot after upgrade to 18.04 (only works with 16.04 kernel)

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I upgraded from 16.04 my ASUS X201E laptop to 18.04, but now I can only boot
with the 16.04 kernel (4.4.0.x), I can't seem to boot with the 4.15 kernel (I
tried 4.14 & 4.16 as well, to no avail).
  Booting with the 4.4 kernel leads to the login screen and everything works
OK, while booting with the 4.15 kernel remains stalled on the Ubuntu startup
screen with dots, ESC shows traces stuck? on "Reached target Network is Online"
  I can successfully boot the 18.04 desktop image though, so I am assuming the
issue comes from configuration files and not from the kernel itself. Any help
would be highly appreciated !

  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:18.04.17
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7
  Architecture: amd64
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  CurrentDesktop: MATE
  Date: Tue May 29 19:05:08 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64 (20140417)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  Symptom: release-upgrade
  VarLogDistupgradeAptlog:
   Log time: 2018-05-22 20:51:41.459776
   Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
   Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
   Done