I have a question for people experiencing this bug (yes, you included
:-).

Please:

* open xfce4-settings-manager,
* click icon "power manager",
* click tab "security",
* report what settings are there for when to "automatically lock the session",
"delay locking after screensaver for...", "lock screen when system is going to
sleep"
* if the bug affects you,
* and your exact distribution version.

Also, since you have to login to launchpad to comment here, please
answer to "does this bug affect you?" question on top of this page.

This will help me figure out a proper fix.

Thanks!

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Unlocking existing session often requires several attempts.

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:

  # Context

  * Computer with several X sessions opened.
  * Users switching from one opened session to another.
  * Lightdm opens new greeter, wait for typing password.
  * User types password.
  * Password is accepted.
  * System closes the current greeter (screen gets black for an instant).

  # Expected

  * User gets back to their already opened session.

  # Observed

  * System immediately opens another greeter.
  * User has to type password again.

  # Reproducible

  * Not always. At times, often, at other times, rare.

  # Additional information

  Users switch session via
  dm-tool switch-to-user $OTHERUSER
  but I guess bug appears with other means (like menu item like "lock screen",
etc).

  # Information requested

  lsb_release -rd

  Release:      18.04

  LC_ALL=C apt-cache policy lightdm

  lightdm:
    Installed: 1.26.0-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 1.26.0-0ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 1.26.0-0ubuntu1 500
          500 http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Package: lightdm 1.26.0-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Tue Jun 12 14:14:52 2018
  ExecutablePath: /usr/sbin/lightdm
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180426)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
   PATH=(custom, no user)
  SourcePackage: lightdm
  modified.conffile..etc.logrotate.d.lightdm: [modified]
  mtime.conffile..etc.logrotate.d.lightdm: 2018-05-25T06:19:22.081830