Hmm... that .profile causes this on SSH logins, so needs tweaking:

Last login: Sat Jan  5 10:49:02 2019 from 192.168.4.70
[1]+  Exit 1                  [[ $(tty) == /dev/ttyS* ]]
john@xx:~$

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to base-files in Ubuntu.

  Set correct terminal size to improve login over serial port experience

Status in base-files package in Ubuntu:

  For people who use ipmiconsole or other serial port access to servers
  a great deal it would be helpful to set LINES and COLUMNS correctly on
  login. There are a number of ways to do this. I found a small (10k) C
  application at:

  http://web.archive.org/web/20081224152013/http://www.davehylands.com
  /gumstix-wiki/resize/resize.c

  which works nicely. It appears to be a simplified version of the
  resize command in xterm (which has too many dependencies for
  comfortable server usage). It seems quite old (2006) so there may be a
  better, newer version of this. Perhaps it would be better named tty-
  resize.

  I added the following two lines to .profile which then invoke the
  resize command on login:

  # size the terminal for login over serial
  [[ $(tty) == /dev/ttyS* ]] & /usr/local/bin/resize

  I think remote serial usage is interesting for cloud and server farm
  use cases which are a big part of Ubuntu usage, so would like to
  improve experience in these cases across the board. This is a small
  part of that.