Oh wait, I think I figured it out.  Bug #1184152 is set to private whih
means I can't see it or contribute there?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to coreutils in Ubuntu.

  du  crashed with SIGABRT in fts_read()

Status in coreutils package in Ubuntu:

  Hopefully this bug report isn't a duplicate (I couldn't find anything
  more recent than a ~6 year old bug of a similar nature yet different
  function).

  The problem is that, on the order of once per boot, a simple "du -shc"
  ends up calling "abort()" extremely quickly.  It appears to be on the
  random side as directories to be traversed have varied in size,
  backing filesystem type (XFS, and ext4 iirc) and hard drive type (SSD
  included) also.

  Attempts thereafter to reproduce result in, well, what I expected - du
  not dumping core.

  I've submitted at least two crash reports on this issue in the past;
  the first was on/around 2018/09/08 and the last was probably around
  November of last year also.  On reading Ubuntu's bug-reporting
  guidelines[1], I note that whoopsie needs to be installed for these
  reports to actually make their way upstream and I *do* have that
  package installed locally.

  Is there anything I can do to help get this bug fixed?  From a quick
  scan it seems "fts_read()" lives within glibc; I'm prepared to see if
  I can debug this further with or without help, but it's been a long
  time since I debugged anything C-code related and it'll take to get
  reacquainted with gdb & co. So if anyone has a "look in foo.c:func()"
  type pointer, it'd be much appreciated!

  ProblemType: Crash
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
  Package: coreutils 8.28-1ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.18.0-13.14~18.04.1-generic 4.18.17
  Uname: Linux 4.18.0-13-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.5
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Thu Jan 10 19:42:20 2019
  ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/du
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  ProcCmdline: du -shc /var/lib
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
   TERM=xterm-256color
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   PATH=(custom, no user)
  Signal: 6
  SourcePackage: coreutils
  StacktraceTop:
   ?? ()
   ?? ()
   fts_read ()
   ?? ()
   __libc_start_main (main=0x556220f61d30, argc=3, argv=0x7ffd0ca68378,
stack_end=0x7ffd0ca68368) at ../csu/libc-start.c:310
  Title: du crashed with SIGABRT in fts_read()
  UserGroups: