Hi Marco,

In my opinion, I think we should install rsyslog above on the container.
You could create a new image for ubuntu 18.04 for never do it again.

Like what I said, could be it happened on the image of Proxmox, so you
should install the newest package of rsyslog on the container.

By default, Ubuntu 18.04 rsyslogd version is rsyslogd 8.32.0.

This is a result after upgrade:

$ rsyslogd -version
rsyslogd 8.40.0, compiled with:
        PLATFORM:                               x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
        PLATFORM (lsb_release -d):
        FEATURE_REGEXP:                         Yes
        GSSAPI Kerberos 5 support:              No
        FEATURE_DEBUG (debug build, slow code): No
        32bit Atomic operations supported:      Yes
        64bit Atomic operations supported:      Yes
        memory allocator:                       system default
        Runtime Instrumentation (slow code):    No
        uuid support:                           Yes
        systemd support:                        Yes
        Number of Bits in RainerScript integers: 64

See https://www.rsyslog.com for more information.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to logrotate in Ubuntu.

  logrotate fails on LXC

Status in logrotate package in Ubuntu:

  daily, I receive this alert from logrotate script in cron.daily:

  /etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
  Failed to kill unit rsyslog.service: Input/output error
  error: error running non-shared postrotate script for /var/log/syslog of
'/var/log/syslog
  '
  run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/logrotate exited with return code 1

  My ubuntu is a LXC running on top of ProxmoxVE.

  the problem occour when logrotate script call /usr/lib/rsyslog
  /rsyslog-rotate that has this call:

  systemctl kill -s HUP rsyslog.service

  I already checked my disks status (because the input/output error) but
  them are ok.

  The same issue is present also in another LXC, ubuntu also this one,
  running on another node of the same cluster

  Package: logrotate 3.11.0-0.1ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature:

  Uname: Linux 4.15.18-7-pve x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.4