Public bug reported:

OS: Ubuntu 18.10 x86_64
Kernel: 4.18.0-13-generic
DE: GNOME 3.30.1
WM: GNOME Shell

Every time I save a file, if I navigate to a different folder than the
one the save dialog appeared with, after I've selected the folder for
saving my file, if I just start typing, my keystrokes don't go into the
filename field even though that is the only field showing for editing
and the file name is highlighted in that field.

What happens instead? A search field magically appears and my keystrokes
start going there. In order to actually edit the file name, I'm required
to click the mouse in the file name field. And, clicking in the file
name field causes the filename to un-highlight, forcing me to press
Ctrl+A to re-highlight (now including the file extension).

This can't be by design can it? I'm not supposed to just retrain myself
to type the filename first and then navigate to the folder I want to
save in, am I?

Even if I was willing to do that, sometimes, I want to click on an
existing filename in a folder and then edit it. This requires navigating
to that folder first. This is worse. Why? Because if I start typing
right after clicking on an existing file it takes 2 clicks to be able to
start editing the filename after clicking an existing file.

I believe I should be able to navigate to a folder and as soon as I
start typing, be editing the file name (it's the only visible field for
editing and it has text highlighted in it like it has the focus).
There's no reason for a search field to appear just because I navigated
to a folder before beginning to edit a file name.

Also, if I click on an existing file, and that name loads in the file
name field, I should be able to immediately start typing to edit. I
should not have to click in the file name edit field 2x in order to be
able to start editing.

If I want to search instead of editing the file name, I should have to
click on a search button or use a keyboard shortcut to do that instead.
That would be the sane, expected way of doing things.

Please, please, fix this.

** Affects: gtk+3.0 (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  file picker unexpected behavior

Status in gtk+3.0 package in Ubuntu: