This can't be a good answer.

For external software providers, if they want to ship a program linked
against libreadline, and support it on multiple LTS versions of Ubuntu
(from 14.04 to 18.04), this makes it impossible for them.

There's no way they can force a link against libreadline5, unless you
provide a libreadline5-dev (which you don't, on nay of those versions -
the only libreadline-dev will link against libreadline6 on 14.04 and
16.04, and against libreadline7 on 18.04.

So there's no way to link a single executable against libreadline-dev
and have it run on all of 14.04, 16.04 and 18.04.

You really _must_ ship a libreadline6 in addition to libreadline5.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to readline6 in Ubuntu.

  Apparently "Readline6" is not in Ubuntu 18.4.1 LTS but I need it

Status in readline6 package in Ubuntu:

  I use applications that require Readline6.  But Ubuntu 18.4.1 does not
  seem to have it - how can Iget it?