Public bug reported:

qmlscene -qt=5 -style material file.qml
prints
  QApplication: invalid style override passed, ignoring it.
on the terminal.

This does not happen when using the environment variable method, e.g.
  QT_QUICK_CONTROLS_STYLE=material qmlscene -qt=5 file.qml

The documentation for how this is supposed to work is at

https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtquickcontrols2-styles.html#using-styles-in-qt-quick-controls-2

I'm reporting this to ubuntu because it might be due to packaging or
patching done for Ubuntu.  I can not conveniently try a pristine
upstream version of Qt, so hoping the Qt Ubuntu maintainer can quickly
determine if this is an upstream bug or not.

I'll attach a trivial test file which demonstrates the problem

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
  qmlscene -style material test.qml  # test.qml attached

ACTUAL RESULTS:
  Prints warning about invalid style on the terminal

EXPECTED RESULTS:
  Silent obedience

** Affects: qtchooser (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "file.qml"
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1814613/+attachment/5236039/+files/file.qml

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to qtchooser in Ubuntu.

  qmlscene -style material file.qml says "QApplication: invalid style
  override passed"

Status in qtchooser package in Ubuntu: