Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: libjpeg-turbo (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libjpeg-turbo in Ubuntu.

  Version string missing in libjpeg.pc

Status in libjpeg-turbo package in Ubuntu:

  Proper pkg-config files are installed if I build libjpeg-turbo myself.

  The description in the pkg-config file shipped by Ubuntu is also
  different from what is in upstream so I assume this is caused by
  Ubuntu (/Debian?) patching in a custom pkg-config file before they
  were included upstream in https://github.com/libjpeg-turbo/libjpeg-
  turbo/pull/53 .