Why is your application looking for a .la file?  This is supplementary
information to libtool which, if absent, should not cause build
failures.  The vast majority of library packages in Debian and Ubuntu do
not ship .la files, they instead ship pkg-config .pc files which provide
a cleaner interface for the system library case.

** Changed in: freetype (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to freetype in Ubuntu.

  Unlike libfreetype6-dev in Cosmic the version shipped with Disco
  doesn't include libfreetype.la file

Status in freetype package in Ubuntu:

  I noticed when trying to compile an application against the version of
  the freetype library shipped with Cosmic that it doesn't include the
  libfreetype.la file in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/

  My compilation failed when it couldn't find the file.