Further to comment #3, closing as fixed.

** Changed in: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  Dell Precision M4500 internal mic does not work

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  The internal mic of my Dell Precision M4500 does not work in Ubuntu
  10.10 64bit (2.6.35-23-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 24 11:55:36 UTC
  2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux).n souns

  In Sound Preferences / Hadrware I have:
  High Definition Audio Controller
  Internal Audio

  In Input/Controller there are:
  Microphone2 / Line in
  Microphone2 / Microphone
  Microphone1 / Line in
  Microphone1 / Microphone

  If I use external mic, it works with this configuration:
  Internal Audio -> Microphone1 / Microphone
  but sound quality is very bad.

  Internal mic does not work with any configuration.