Tried with ubuntu-18.04.2-desktop-amd64. Same error.

  Ubuntu 18.04.1 Desktop install fails to show try or install choice

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  When I try to install Ubuntu 18.04 (replacing rather than updating
  16.04) on my HP Pavilion dv7 6080eo laptop, which currently runs
  Windows in dual boot with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for amd64, I never get the
  screen with the Try Ubuntu or Install Ubuntu choice. Instead the GUI
  drops into "terminal mode" showing some errors, and after some time I
  can log into "Try Ubuntu" mode.

  I have verified the DVD with two methods:

      Compared the MD5 sum of the ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso file
  using md5sum with the value on the web,
  f430da8fa59d2f5f4262518e3c177246, and checked the DVD using the
  command:

      dd if=/dev/sr0 | head -c $(wc -c .../ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-
  amd64.iso) | md5sum | cut -d' ' -f1

      which also returned f430da8fa59d2f5f4262518e3c177246.

      Verified the DVD integrity, booting the HP with ubuntu-18.04.1
  -desktop-amd64 DVD and used the Check CD for defects menu option,
  which was successful.

  The "terminal output" I get before the "installation" on the HP drops
  into try mode includes (at least) one suspicious line in the beginning
  (I have attached a picture):

      [ OK ] Created slice system-lvm2\x2dpvscan.slice
      Starting LVM2 PV scan on device 8:6...
      [ OK ] Started Snappy daemon.
      Starting Wait until snapd is fully seeded..
      Starting Holds Snappy daemon refresh...
      [ FAILED ] Failed to start Dispatcher daemon for systemd-networkd.
      :
      :

  When I boot on an old Asus laptop (K70IO) from that DVD, everything
  behaves normally.

  When I boot the HP laptop with a DVD with ubuntu-16.04.1-amd.iso,
  everything behaves normally.