I was able to successfully insert people variant emojis with libgtk-3-0
3.24.4-0ubuntu1 on Ubuntu 18.10 and with 3.22.30-1ubuntu2 on Ubuntu
18.04 LTS.

** Tags removed: verification-needed verification-needed-bionic
verification-needed-cosmic
** Tags added: verification-done verification-done-bionic
verification-done-cosmic

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  Fix variant selection in emoji chooser

Status in gtk+3.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gtk+3.0 source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in gtk+3.0 source package in Cosmic:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  Impact
  ======
  The variant selector in the emoji chooser was broken and will crash the app
if used.

  Test Case
  =========
  In an app like gedit, right click in the text area and select Insert Emoji
  Look for one of the "people" emoji.
  Right-click (or long-click) on the emoji and select one of the skin tones
instead of the default yellow.
  The emoji with the skin tone you selected should be added to the text area.

  Regression Potential
  This fix was included in the gtk 3.24.2 release. There is a standing
microrelease exception for GNOME point releases.

  GTK 3.24 was a big enough release (with some bumped dependencies) that
  it's not very practical to push to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS so we selectively
  cherry-pick fixes there.

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#GNOME

  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/commit/dbbc7b3859f4b
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/1398