Public bug reported:

So I upgraded to 19.04 and now I no longer can get the a52 working.

It worked fine on 18.10.

this is the description I follow https://help.ubuntu.com/community
/DigitalAC-3Pulseaudio

also the package libasound2-plugins-extra that is supposed to do this
for you is not working.

I use the same kernel version so it's only userspace that has changed.

There looks to only be small changes in the driver and I'm not sure if
the driver code is even called before you actually try to use it but I
never get so far I can  not select the a52 device as it do not show up
anywhere so I think its the configuraton that no longer works. or
something, the configuration format is impossible to understand.

https://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-
plugins.git;a=history;f=a52/pcm_a52.c;h=b005bc2040c0113f69ca081e6f7f75d69616f64c;hb=HEAD

** Affects: alsa-plugins (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-plugins in Ubuntu.

  a52 DigitalAC-3Pulseaudio not working on 19.04

Status in alsa-plugins package in Ubuntu: