I'm sorry Riccardo, I didn't notice the two separate BASH_CMDS issues when
I filed the request. The only mention in the changelog is:

> This document details the changes between this version, bash-4.4-beta2,
> and the previous version, bash-4.4-rc1.
>$
> [...]
>$
> d.  Fixed a bug that allowed assignments to BASH_CMDS when the shell was
> in restricted mode.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bash.git/tree/CHANGES?h=bash-4.4-testing#n65

I did not find a single well-defined patch or commit for this, so
completely overlooked that there are multiple issues.

Thanks

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to bash in Ubuntu.

  BASH_CMDS is writable in restricted bash shells (fixed upstream, need
  to backport patch)

Status in bash package in Ubuntu:

  In 14.04 LTS, the BASH_CMDS variable is writable in rbash. This allows
  a trivial escape from rbash to run arbitrary shell commands.

  This issue is fixed upstream:
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bash.git/tree/CHANGES?h=bash-4.4-testing#n65