Argh, many thanks for pointing this out! What an obvious and silly
error.

This does not affect 14.10 as the upstart job for logind is gone
entirely in favor of D-BUS activation. But this must be fixed for 14.04.

** Also affects: systemd (Ubuntu Trusty)

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu Trusty)

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu Trusty)

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu Trusty)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Martin Pitt (pitti)

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu Trusty)
    Milestone: None => ubuntu-14.04.2

** Summary changed:

- systemd-logind upstart script is flawed
+ systemd-logind upstart script breaks if libpam-systemd is installed for more
than one arch

  systemd-logind upstart script breaks if libpam-systemd is installed
  for more than one arch

Status in “systemd” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “systemd” source package in Trusty:

  /etc/init/systemd-logind.conf contains the following:

      # only start if PAM module is actually available, not if libpam-systemd is
      # removed but not purged
      [ -e /lib/*/security/pam_systemd.so ] || { stop; exit 0; }

  Which is a wrongly written script. It assumes that there is at most one file
matching the wildcard. It is not true in my system.
  If your system have both libpam-systemd:amd64 and libpam-systemd:i386 then:

  # ls /lib/*/security/pam_systemd.so
  /lib/i386-linux-gnu/security/pam_systemd.so
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/security/pam_systemd.so

  and you get the following:

  # cat /var/log/upstart/systemd-logind.log
  /proc/self/fd/9: 4: [: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/security/pam_systemd.so:
unexpected operator
  systemd-logind stop/pre-start, process 2462

  systemd-logind does not start at all. This causes many bad things to
  happen later.

  There are many ways to fix this. For my purposes I removed the faulty
  line from the file. I don't know what is the expected behaviour. Maybe
  this one:

  ls /lib/*/security/pam_systemd.so &> /dev/null || { stop; exit 0; }

  This bug might be the root cause of other bugs. Like this one: #1372187 (and
#1377727)

  My system info:

  # lsb_release -rd
  Release:      14.04