Thank you for your feedback and sorry for the delay. I looked at commit
675ff4be and compared it with the patch I referenced, which removes the
xkb_symbols section in symbols/inet.

Note that this patch adds and assigns more keys (AE01-AE12, BKSP, AB09,
I166, I167, I181, I160, I235, I232, I233) and different ways to activate
overlays/levels not just a set of default keys. I tried changing the
volume for example with the volume keys alone, pressing the right alt
key and pressing the search key (left windows key located where the caps
lock key would be) on my Lenovo N22 but it doesn't work on Ubuntu by
default. I tried it in Gnome and XFCE. GalliumOS uses the XFCE session,
configuring one of the keyboard layouts there makes keys like volume
up/down work.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in

  Add support for Chromebook keyboards

Status in xkeyboard-config package in Ubuntu:

  Please review this patch for inclusion in Ubuntu or upstream:
  https://github.com/GalliumOS/xkeyboard-
  config/blob/master/debian/patches/chromebook.patch

  I have been using Gallium OS on a Chromebook and like to switch to
  Ubuntu. I tested the modifications on my Chromebook and they are
  working on the Xorg Gnome session.

  I'm using Ubuntu 18.04.